Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Shout Out to the Lurkers

Sherise said to me the other day, "[Name changed to protect the innocent] told me she comes to our blog quite often and likes it. I didn't even know she KNEW about our blog."

This one comment has sent me on a quest -- to find out just how many people actually come to our blog. There are many crude devices like page view counters on people's blogs, but they don't tell you a whole lot. I decided to apply a little more technology to the process, and I've been amazed at what I've learned:

48 unique visitors have come to our site. A more accurate term would be 48 different web browsers have come to our site. At least four of them are ours (my work PC, my CrackBerry, Sherise's desktop, my desktop). But either way this means that the remaining 44 visitors are either people who like us so much that they check in on us from multiple computers, or they are unique individuals who have stopped by to see what we have to say. Either way, I'm flattered.

73% of our visitors have come back at least once. So we're not completely boring over here. Again, I'm flattered.

The "average" visitor views 1.5 pages while visiting our blog. Or another way of thinking of it, 1 in every 2 visitors looks at more than one page while they're here. Again, I'm flattered.

Our visitors span 5 different countries (in descending order of visitors):
  1. U.S.
  2. Belgium
  3. China
  4. Georgia
  5. U.K.
Within the U.S., our traffic comes from (again in descending order):
  1. Utah
  2. Montana
  3. Colorado
  4. Washington
  5. Virginia
  6. California
  7. New York
  8. New Mexico
  9. Pennsylvania
  10. Nevada
  11. New Jersey
I don't think I know anybody in Montana, New York, or Pennsylvania!

So please, leave a comment, let us know what you like, what you'd like to see more (or less) of. We want you to keep coming back.

8 comments:

Vern said...

Uh, I think you're all too familiar with who I am and where I come from. But the lurkers may not know that I have seen Sherise in her underwear. Just in case you were wondering.

Sherise said...

Actually, if memory serves, I was even less clothed than that. It wasn't your fault, though, since my darling husband is the one who told you to, oh sure, go on back, Sherise is all ready. (Thanks hon!)

RasmussenFamily said...

I love your blog... and frequent it at least monthly... I need to see how to track mine, later a lesson please. We are so glad you guys moved to our neighborhood and that you actually claim to like us too!

Pamela said...

I have no clue how my name will show up on this when I'm signed in, so just so you know, this is Pam. And I check your blog often, sometimes from work and sometimes from the home desktop and sometimes from the home laptop. =P

Mama D said...

First time visitor. I just received an invite from Sherise at Mormon Momma. I love your writing and have spent the last 15+ minutes laughing at your amazing kids' exploits! I will be back...

Michelle D from MM

Semi Granola Mom said...

I would be interested in how to track if you are willing to pass on the info :)
Thanks
~Clerissa for MM ( Lewis_family )

Pauly said...

@Clerissa -

There are three steps involved:
1. Sign up for a Google Analytics account at www.google.com/analytics

2. You will have to do a little bit of HTML editing and copy their javascript into your blog page.

3. Click the link to test that Google Analytics can "talk" to your blog. You should then see a message that says it is receiving data.

Semi Granola Mom said...

Thank you so much! It totally works now, and I love how it doesn't further busy up my site :)