Thursday, March 18, 2010

We're Still Here

Hi there, remember us? The people who used to have a blog here? We're still alive, just neglecting our bloggy duties.

It's not much of an excuse, but we have been a little distracted lately. Many of you already know this, but Paul and I both served LDS missions in Haiti in the late 80s/early 90s. We've felt heartsick and helpless as we've watched the coverage of the earthquake and its aftermath. We've both felt like we want to just hop on a plane and get down there and do something, ANYTHING, to help the people and the country we love.

Well, an opportunity has finally come up for one of us to do exactly that. Paul is going to Haiti on Tuesday with an organization called Haiti Sak Plen. He'll be there for about a week and a half with a small group who will help rebuild houses damaged in the quake. He and one other guy (Hi Blair!) will be the only Creole speakers, and the other four or so guys are contractors/construction experts. They've got a source from whom they can purchase building supplies, and they'll hire day laborers down there to help with the grunt work. I'm very excited for him to go, and also a little jealous. I'll try to keep you posted on his adventures as they happen, and I'm sure he'll have plenty of stories and pictures once he gets back.

5 comments:

Vern said...

I've been thinking about you guys during this whole mess and wondering if anything would come up - what a fantastic opportunity. I think I'd be jealous if I were you too. Go Paul!

glassGirl said...

Does this mean you're not coming to Daisy's party? The cake is going to be chocolate, if that makes a difference.

Sherise said...

Tave: I'm going to try to come with the kids, but my boys are in piano lessons until 6. I'll have to play it by ear (heh) and see what the homework/kid grumpiness/mom sanity situation is at that point.

glassGirl said...

No worries. If you come, we'll be happy to see you; if you don't, well, more cake for us. :)

themeese2 said...

I am so happy that Paul finally got his chance! He was so frustrated that he couldn't go. I'm looking forward to reading about his adventures. Kim