Monday, January 12, 2009

Sherise turns the big 4-0

I have to start by saying that Paul really stepped it up this year. He really did. A few months ago, I asked if he wanted to talk about how we were going to celebrate my birthday this year. (I don't usually care about making a big fuss, big hey, this one has a zero at the end of it, and I wanted to make sure I greeted it in style.) Paul just smiled and said, "Don't worry, I've got you covered." Honestly, I had my doubts about whether he truly realized the significance of his wife beginning a new decade and whether he would put sufficient thought and planning into whatever he was smiling about. I should never have doubted him. (Sorry, honey!)

On New Year's Eve, I came down with the bug that had been running through our family. Nothing serious, just a little achiness and a low level overall crummy feeling, but it was enough that I came home early from the neighbors' party and spent the rest of the evening and the next day in bed. For some strange reason, Paul seemed irritated that I was sick. Which, of course, made me irritated in return--why was he getting upset about something that was clearly Not My Fault and that I Would Much Rather Have Avoided? Well, it's because he had plans to take me somewhere really cool that night, and I was obviously not going to be up for it. He finally fessed up that he had arranged for my mom to stay overnight with the kids so he could surprise me with a trip for my birthday. Aww, isn't he sweet? (I STILL don't think he should have been mad about my getting sick, but I'll let that one slide.) I asked if he couldn't just reschedule everything for the next day, and he said he wasn't sure, but he'd try.

So perhaps I wasn't 100% surprised to be whisked off to the Homestead Resort the next night after a lovely dinner out with my husband, but he did manage to maintain a little mystery by not telling me whether he'd actually managed to get new reservations, and then not telling me where we were going once we were on our way. And the snowmobiling trip the next morning? TOTAL surprise, and the most fun I've had in a long time. Check out these pictures:



Don't we look like we're having fun? (Paul did have his own snowmobile, BTW. He just hopped on mine for the picture.) My smile probably would have been bigger, but my face muscles were too cold to move any further.

Good job, Paul, right? But wait, there's more! (This is like the infomercial of birthdays.) Monday, my actual birthday, he booked a massage for me at a local spa. He planned to pick up some takeout on his way home from work while I was getting fluffed and buffed so I wouldn't have to cook on my birthday. So after Haylie the massage therapist had worked her magic and I'd hung out in the sauna and steam room for a while, I sauntered on home, only to find the final birthday surprise: a party! A roomful of family and friends singing "Happy Birthday," pizza, two kinds of cake (oh, he knows me well), and a general feeling of being fussed over. Yeah, I'd say it was a pretty good birthday. Now I've got until April of next year to plan something great for Paul's 40th. I'm taking suggestions.

(NOTE: If you are a friend who didn't get an invite to the party, please accept my and Paul's apologies. Obviously, he couldn't exactly ask me who all I wanted there without letting the cat out of the bag. And if you're a friend/family member who did get invited and RSVPed that you were coming, but lives in Utah Valley, thank you for NOT coming, so we didn't have to worry about you driving home in that massive snowstorm.)

4 comments:

glassGirl said...

Again, really sorry I missed your party. But I'm glad you had a good time.

Pamela said...

I'm also, again, really sorry that I missed the party. Stupid snow.

Vern said...

It's stuff like this that makes me extra bummed that you guys don't live here anymore. I wish I could have been there!! Good job Pauly - I'll tell Cory to take notes for a couple of years from now! And happy belated birthday Sherise!

Henrie Family said...

You sure make turning 40 look fun. I always was jealous your birthday was before mine.