Monday, July 6, 2009

Maybe I should consider homeschooling?

Starting in August, I will have four children in three different schools. (And really, it's more like three and a half schools, because one will be in half-day kindergarten.) This is not the school board's fault.

None of those children attend the school for which we live in the boundaries; therefore, we will be responsible for transporting them to and from school each day. Again, not the school board's fault if we chose to enroll them in non-boundary schools.

The elementary school has an early dismissal every Friday. I don't have a problem with that.

Last May, we received a letter from the middle school, informing us they were considering modifying their schedule to allow "collaboration time" for the faculty. This would involve either a late start or an early dismissal one day a week. I don't have a problem with that, as long as the time is used for its intended purpose and doesn't become "the faculty uses this period to perform personal errands or sneak out to the nearest bar" time. I filled out the survey and noted my preference for an early dismissal on Friday, to coordinate with the elementary school's schedule. (I should note that this is the elementary that feeds into this middle school, so one would expect I'm not the only parent with children in both schools.)

The school board didn't listen. This is where I start to have a little problem with them.

We just got another letter: the middle school will have . . . tadah! . . . a late start on Fridays.

So starting in late August, this is what my Friday schedule will look like:
  • 8:40 am: Drop off Thomas and Max.
  • 9:25 am: Drop off Calvin.
  • 10:45 am: Pick up Max.
  • 1:40 pm: Pick up Thomas.
  • 2:50 pm: Pick up Calvin.
  • (Katie, thankfully, doesn't have school on Fridays, or this would be even more heinous.)
Every. Friday. All. School year. Long.

Just shoot me now.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Carpool?

Henrie Family said...

Books/Talks on CD help me feel like I am not totally wasting my time when driving kids around. Good Luck - that is crazy.

Pamela said...

As a single person with no children, I feel I am qualified to say this. *ahem* SUCKS TO BE YOU! Mwahaha!

glassGirl said...

Ooh, homeschooling is a genius idea. Then you could have all for of your little sweeties with you all ... day ... long ... every day of the year.

glassGirl said...

Wow. Sleep deprivation. All four, obviously, not all "for."

Tier317 said...

It's edward and I finally found your blogspot. That sounds hectic. Just make Calvin run to school. It's a good workout for someone with all that energy that could be "productivly" spent playing video games. (don't tell him I said that)