Friday, March 21, 2008

Delicious Irony

Sometimes I can't decide if people have a twisted sense of humor or if they're completely oblivious. I made two phone calls today, and had to hold both times. In both cases, the hold music was particularly apropos:

1. Call to a mobile phone company. The hold music? Van Morrison's Precious Time.
It doesn’t matter what route you take
Sooner or later the hearts going to break
No rhyme or reason, no master plan
No nirvana, no promised land

Because, precious time is slipping away
You know you’re only king for a day
It doesn’t matter to which God you pray
Precious time is slipping away

2. Call to a heating company, to have some work done on my furnace. The hold music? Phil Collins' Tonight, tonight
I got some money in my pocket, about ready to burn

I don't remember where I got it, I gotta get it to you
So please answer the phone, cuz I keep calling, but you're never home
What am I gonna do
Tonight, tonight, tonight
I'm gonna make it right
Tonight, tonight, tonight.

I don't think people at the phone company or a couple heating guys could be this clever if they tried, which in my mind makes it just that much funnier/ironic.

What funny hold music have you had to listen to?

1 comment:

Vern said...

I've never paid much attention, but I'm going to now! From someone who recently dropped 600 bucks on a furnace, I feel your pain. I think I'll go turn on a little Phil Collins.